Martes, Abril 24, 2012

Old School Inno: On Cloth Diapering

Two weekends ago, Kali and I started cloth diapering Inno. My mom convinced me to start using lampins already. Before I gave birth, I was really set to cloth diaper Inno but because my body recovery took almost two weeks and with Inno's frequent change of sleeping and feeding schedule, I have to postpone the idea. 


When my mom and sister visited me last week, they've noticed that I've got a lot of disposables in the trash and said that we're throwing away money with every diaper ditched. My mom then got a lampin from Inno's drawer and put it on him during his next dappy change. Since that day, I've started using flats in the morning and disposables at night. There wasn't really much problem with the frequent changing even if Inno is a heavy wetter. The challenge is on the laundering part. We've only got a dozen of flats, three diaper covers and one bamboo dappy (which we only bought for trial). After each use, I have to wash the soiled ones to survive the rest of the day. I'm lucky though if I get to really wash the used ones right away and those few moments would be when Inno is sleeping or if Ate Jem (our all-around maid) has nothing to do and would sub for me in looking after Inno. Good thing too that the bathroom upstairs is just right outside our room where I could wash the lampins and check on Inno from time to time while he sleeps. 


So far, everything's going smooth with us cloth diapering Inno. We wanted to really switch to cloth diapering 24/7 and impel the idea of disposables which are really costly. 


Hybrid Diapers


Even before Inno was born, I was already thinking of cloth diapering him using hybrid dappies. I've done some research and it was good to know that there's a number of makers, suppliers and brands of hybrid cloth diapers in the country already. However, because I haven't convinced Kali to invest in hybrid cloth diapers full-time, we only have one bamboo dappy which we use and wash everyday. If you don't really have an idea what hybrid dappies look like, I've downloaded some photos of a number of brands. (Note: This Diapers have different systems though, varying from pocket diapers, All-in-One's and Two-in-One's). 


Bum Genius (photo courtesy of Spoiled Store)

Charlie Banana Pack of 6

Next9 Printed Dappy (photo courtesy of
MotheringEarthlings)

Drybees AIO
(photo courtesy of Spoiled Store)

KissaLuvs Contour Diapers
(photo courtesy of Spoiled Store)

Kissa's Organic Cotton Diaper
(photo courtesy of Spoiled Store)

Next9 Plain Yellow
(photo courtesy of Next9)

Rocky Mountain
(photo courtesy of Spoiled Store)
 
Grovia AIO Diaper
(photo courtesy of Grovia)




So, on Inno's christening, we're planning a dappy-themed reception and gift registry. Most of the items listed on our gift registry are essentials on cloth diapering like Next9 Cloth Diapers in pack of 3's (we chose this brand because of it's price. Imagine 3pcs for 1k? Other brands cost almost 1k per piece! :)), Inserts, Diaper wet bag and flushable liners which is great during travels. We don't really mind receiving same gifts from this list since we wanted Inno to have a bountiful stash of these items. It's practical and could be used up until he's ready to potty-train. 


We haven't checked non-cloth dappy related items in the mall just yet in case other guests prefer giving other gifts. We still got a lot of ironing out to do. Whew!


Why, Why, Why?


You may ask why we prefer using cloth diapers. Well, our primary reason is to cut the cost on disposables. We have tried using disposable diapers the moment Inno was born and upon reaching his first month, it has already burdened our pockets. Imagine, a pack of diapers lasts only for a week or even less. In cloth diapering, we only have to invest on a stash, wash and re-use it for over a long period. 


Cloth diapers are also safe for Inno because  he's not exposed to chemicals found inside disposables. Moreover, cloth diapering is safe for Mother Earth since we won't be contributing to the piles of trash in our landfills. 


There you have it. I know you'd think I'm too old school for settling on this idea but come on, I know you see the benefits of cloth dappy-ing too. Plus, remember that are bummies are cloth-diapered too when we were babies. If my mom survived cloth-diapering us four, I know I could also do it for Inno. :)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento